At The Law Firm of Erin N Birt PC (Birt Law), we are committed to providing high quality legal, mediation, and parenting services to all our clients. We embrace accountability and opportunities for continued improvement of our client services. If you feel for any reason that our team has failed to meet our commitments to you, we invite you to inform us as soon as possible. Your feedback is important, and it is also important to us that you are given the opportunity to share your position so that our team can understand better the situation and consider your view. By letting us know, it will help us to immediately address your concerns or complaints and improve our practices for you and all clients.
Please note: There is no fee or cost to you for the firm considering any complaint.
Our complaint policy covers concerns or complaints that may arise from any client facing service provided by the firm. We wish to resolve any compliant or concern as quickly as possible. If any problem arises that cannot be resolved immediately to the satisfaction of the concerned client and staff member, the following stages and procedures must be followed.
- Informal Complaint: For any concerns that you wish to have an informal conversation about, please contact the office to schedule an informal telephone call with our office manager, Tyler Birt at (630) 891-2478 or send him an email at [email protected]. If an informal conversation resolves the issue to your satisfaction, a letter or email will be prepared summarizing the raised concern and the resolution of the concern within 7 business days of the conversation. You will not be billed for this conversation. If you initiate this informal complaint process, you authorize the firm to follow only this step outlined and the firm will not perform the steps outlined below for a written complaint.
Written Complaint: If you have a complaint or concern about our services, a team member, an invoice, or any other issue relating to our teams work for you, or if your service contract requires written notification to the firm, please feel free to contact our office manager, Tyler Birt, by any method convenient for you to discuss next steps:
- By telephone (630) 891-2478
- By email: [email protected]
- By written letter: Tyler Birt, 2100 Manchester Rd Ste B 954 Wheaton IL 60187
- You must provide our firm with a written outline of your complaint and your updated contact details (phone number, email address, mailing address). If the firm cannot confirm you were or you are currently a client of the firm, we will immediately close the investigation into your complaint.
- Our firm will send you a letter confirming receipt of your complaint together with a copy of this complaints policy. We may ask you to provide additional details and/or materials to allow us to accurately understand your compliant and to learn what resolution you are seeking. Typically, we strive to send this letter to you within 14 business days of receiving your complaint. If we have a current email address for you, this letter may be sent to you via email and we will ask you confirm receipt.
- We will maintain a file of the stages of our complaints procedure including copies of any received or sent correspondences and/or materials. This file may be either in a hardcopy or electronic format.
- The firm will strive to complete the review of your complaint within 21 business days of receiving your complaint, or within 21 business days of receiving additional information and/or materials. If the complaint is complex, the firm will contact you to discuss and agree upon a realistic timeline for the process.
- Our review of the complaint enables us to view your feedback or complaint in an objective and fair manner. It will typically involve our lawyer, our office manager & paralegal, and any staff or professional that worked on your matter examining the complaint, relevant files or documents, and considering the relevant information and materials that you have provided to us.
- Once we have completed our review and assessed your complaint, we will contact you to invite you to meet with us by phone, Zoom, or in person based upon your preference and we will outline the steps we have taken to review your complaint, we will inform you of our findings, and we will highlight any proposal we may have to resolve the complaint. If you are satisfied, we will confirm the resolution in writing to you by mail or email within 7 business days.
- If you are not satisfied with the resolution proposed, you must state so in writing to the firm within 5 business days.
- We will choose between two options below for an additional review and advise you of the option selected in writing:
- We will arrange for a team member that did not work substantively on your case to review the complaint and related materials and propose a resolution within 14 business days; or
- We will arrange for a neutral attorney not previously involved in your case to review the complaint and related materials and propose a resolution and we will also let you know an estimate of time for this process to take place.
- Within 7 business days of receiving the proposed resolution of the additional review, we will submit that resolution to you in writing along with our confirmation of the firm's final position on your complaint and our reasons for that final position. We may, however, elect to also invite you to participate in mediation as set forth below:
- The firm will select a neutral mediator from the Mediation Council of Illinois or like organization and submit the complaint to mediation for which both parties agree to allow the mediator to provide binding resolution recommendations upon the parties reaching an impasse after attempting to mediate for at least 3 hours. The cost of mediation shall be resolved in mediation, however, the parties (the complainant and the firm) shall initially be equally responsible for the cost of mediation subject to reallocation during mediation. Fees may be included in the binding recommendation of the mediator in the event of an impasse after 3 hours of mediation.
- Please refer to your service contract for any time limits on complaints.
- Please note that the passage of time can render it difficult to conduct an adequate review of your complaint and therefore we will not investigate any complaint older than three (3) years This provision does not modify, alter, or revise any time limits set forth in your service contract.
- If after the above you are not satisfied with the resolution, you may make a complaint to the Illinois Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission. Not all client complaints are heard by the Commission, but they will communicate their policies and procedures to you directly. The ARDC can be contacted by regular mail, telephone or by facsimile at: One Prudential Plaza,130 East Randolph Drive, Suite 1500,Chicago, IL 60601-6219,Phone (312) 565-2600, Main Fax (312) 565-2320, Email [email protected].