Failure to Pay Alimony in Illinois


Introduction to Failure to Pay Alimony or Maintenance

Spousal support, also known as spousal maintenance or alimony, is a crucial aspect of many divorce settlements. However, when one party fails to adhere to court-ordered maintenance, it can lead to significant financial challenges for the recipient. In such cases, understanding one's legal options and seeking appropriate legal assistance is essential to ensure fair and just resolution.

Interested in our compatibility? Discover more about our ideal client

Quick Links: 

Our Approach to A Failure to Pay Alimony or Maintenance 

At The Law Firm of Erin N Birt PC (Birt Law), we recognize the importance of adhering to the law while also exploring viable options for resolving disputes outside of court. Our approach involves guiding clients through negotiation and settlement processes to reach mutually beneficial agreements whenever possible. By facilitating constructive dialogue and advocating for our clients' rights, we strive to achieve favorable outcomes while minimizing conflict and unnecessary litigation.

Services Offered for A Failure to Pay Alimony or Maintenance

We offer comprehensive mediation and restorative divorce services aimed at fostering amicable resolutions and preserving relationships where possible. Through mediation, we facilitate productive discussions between parties, helping them reach agreements on spousal support and other pertinent issues without the need for courtroom battles. Our restorative divorce services focus on healing and collaboration, emphasizing the well-being of all involved parties while addressing legal matters effectively.

FAQ's for a Failure to Pay Alimony or Maintenance 

1. What should you do when an ex-spouse fails to pay court-ordered maintenance in Illinois?

  • If your ex-spouse fails to pay court-ordered maintenance, you have legal options to address the issue. You can file a motion with the court to request a review of the case, seeking enforcement of the court order to ensure past-due payments are made, and future payments are honored. Alternatively, you may consider addressing the matter through mediation or negotiation before court involvement becomes necessary.

2. How are alimony orders enforced in DuPage County?

  • Alimony orders in DuPage County can be enforced through various means, such as income withholding, contempt of court proceedings, and writ of execution. These enforcement measures are available to compel the obligated party to fulfill their financial obligations as mandated by the court. Additionally, exploring mediation or negotiation avenues can provide alternative methods for resolving disputes without resorting to court intervention initially.

3. Do I need a family law attorney in DuPage County to collect overdue alimony?

  • While it is possible to pursue enforcement actions independently, seeking the assistance of a qualified family law attorney in DuPage County can be advantageous. An attorney can navigate the complexities of the legal process, ensure proper documentation and filings, and advocate for your best interests effectively. Moreover, mediation or negotiation can serve as proactive approaches to address overdue alimony payments before resorting to legal proceedings.

Fees for Services for A Failure to Pay Alimony or Maintenance

Our fees for services vary depending on the complexity of the case and the specific needs of our clients. We offer both flat fee arrangements for straightforward matters and hourly rates for more complex cases, ensuring transparency and flexibility in billing.

Getting Started with our Mediator & Attorney 

If you are facing issues related to spousal support, whether it involves modification, enforcement, or collection of overdue payments, we encourage you to contact The Law Firm of Erin N Birt PC (Birt Family Law) today. Our experienced family law attorney and mediator are dedicated to providing personalized guidance and effective legal representation tailored to your unique circumstances. Reach out to us online or call (630) 891-2478 to schedule a free 15-min introductory call or a consultation and take the first step toward resolving your spousal support concerns.

Seeking insight into our alignment? Take a closer look at our ideal client profile.


Our Attorneys

  • Erin Birt

    Since 2003, Erin N. Birt, J.D., CADC has focused her practice on pa...

  • Tyler Birt

    Since 2007, Tyler Birt has been a legal assistant and bookkeeper fo...

  • Karen Hansel

    As Administrative Assistant at Birt Law, Karen’s involvement in dai...

Family Centered Divorce ∙ Mediation ∙ Co-Parenting

Birt Family Law is the family centered law and mediation practice with a focus on Restorative Divorce; offering creative and supportive legal and mediation solutions with one goal: keeping the separating family out of court and working together towards a positive resolution.

We offer multiple options to achieve this goal including mediation, coaching, co-parenting strategies, and Restorative Divorce services. 

Are we the right fit for you?

Birt Family Law is committed to keeping the separating family out of court and working together towards a positive resolution.