Erin N. Birt: Attorney
Skills and Experience
Since 2003, Erin Birt has focused her practice of law and mediation on separation, divorce, and parenting matters.
In 2010, Ms. Birt opened The Law Firm of Erin N. Birt, P.C. to provide her clients a variety of alternative dispute resolution and divorce options. Prior to starting the firm, she was employed by several prominent family law firms including Fortunato, Farrell, Davenport & Arnold, Ltd. and Roberts and Associates, P.C. She clerked at Mayer, Brown & Platt, n/k/a Mayer Brown, Earl L. Neal and Associates, LLC, n/k/a Neal & Leroy, LLC, and the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office.
Ms. Birt is also a certified alcohol and drug abuse counselor. Her clinical addiction counseling experience includes DUI risk education and counseling at The Family Connection and inpatient addiction counseling at Adventist Glen Oaks Hospital. Erin now uses her addiction counseling skills and experience to help separating parents, families, and teens effected by drugs or alcohol.
Erin has been a presenter and trainer for the DuPage County Bar Association, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Mediation Council of Illinois, and various mediation, counseling, or collaborative practice groups within Illinois and beyond.
For years, Ms. Birt felt that many of her clients were lost in the wilderness of the divorce litigation world. It was clear to her most cases could and should avoid litigation, however, her clients followed the same litigation path recommended by a well meaning friend or family member.
Born a peacemaker and surrounded by litigation warriors, Erin never lost her compass. She continued on her own path, based on her values and her talents to alleviate concerns and to bring consensus, to lead clients to a place of peace and resolution.
Once a litigation warrior herself, Erin has found a career in mediation and settlement based practices where she is treasured in her community by the very litigators that used to be on the other side of cases. She is known for her creativity and her caringness and is a model for others striving to enter the fields of mediation, parenting coordination, collaborative divorce, and restorative settlement based practices.
Ms. Birt strives to resolve all family issues respectfully and without unnecessary litigation. She approaches all cases from a perspective of finding a resolution within the family prior to seeking help outside in the court system.
Colleagues and trusted professionals from around the United States have recently described Erin as follows:
- "Erin Birt is a peacemaker and she will cut through all of the nonsense and strife and get you to where you want to be which is a place of peace and resolution that will help your family thrive even after divorce."
- "Erin is a problem solver. She is concerned about the family. She focuses on the welfare of the family and helping her clients reach a resolution that meets the needs of the entire family. She is interested in ensuring that her clients can be in a better place than when they entered her office."
- "Erin is committed to peacemaking and resolutions."
- Case Western Reserve University, BA
- DePaul College of Law, J.D.
- College of DuPage, Mediation Certificate
- College of DuPage, Addiction Counseling
- Guardian ad litem trainings, DuPage County Bar Association & Kane County Bar Association
- AFCC, Parenting Coordinator Training
- The Doherty Relationship Institute, LLC, Discernment Counseling Protocol Training
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Mediation Council of Illinois (Past Board Member)
- Mosten Guthrie Mediation Practice Building Group
- Illinois Counseling Association
- NAADAC, Association for Addiction Professionals
- Illinois Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association, Inc.
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (Past Faculty Speaker)
- Collaborative Practice Professionals of Illinois
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- The Doherty Relationship Institute, LLC
- Past Member of City of Wheaton's Community Relations Commission
- Past Group Leader for the DuPage County Juvenile Diversion Program
Recent Blog Posts
Child Custody in Illinois: Gender Transitioning and Changing a Minor’s Name
Do You Need a Discernment Divorce Counselor?
Resources & Tips for Faith-Based Divorce
Considering a Divorce After the Holidays?
How Is Adultery Handled in an Illinois Divorce