Illinois Divorce: 5 tips to save on time, money, and conflict during a divorce:
1. Be proactive. Identify and locate assets and debts. Gather at least 3 years of financial documents, including but not limited to check books, pay stubs, Federal and State Tax Returns, monthly statements for bank accounts, retirement accounts, credit cards, mortgages etc., and any appraisals of assets or real estate.
2. Do your homework. Determine what it will cost you each month to set up a second home in your area. You may find that you will have to modify your goals.
3. Organize and write down your schedule. Generate a list of work, school, and other commitments for you, spouse, and child/ren. If you have children, keep a calendar of days, holidays, and events when you spend time with the children.
4. Anticipate and limit issues. Make a list of what you believe you and your spouse will agree on and what you will likely disagree on. Tip: Absent physical or mental abuse, if you agree on issues re: education, health, and religion, joint custody is likely appropriate and knowing this early will likely save you thousands of dollars.
5. Meet with an Illinois divorce attorney. Review the above information with an Illinois Divorce attorney and determine what divorce services are truly needed to resolve the outstanding issues. For instance, if the above work is completed by the parties prior to meeting with the attorney, the attorney may be hired on a limited scope basis to produce the settlement agreement and finalize the divorce in court. Limited scope services and uncontested divorce services can, again, save a couple thousands of dollars.
Wheaton Illinois Divorce Attorney, Erin Birt, regularly works with clients in need of limited scope services or uncontested divorce services. Ms. Birt serves clients in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Warrenville, Winfield, Carol Stream, Bloomingdale, Lombard, Elmhurst, Downers Grove, and Oak Brook as well as other cities located in DuPage County. We have experience serving clients in Cook County, Will County, and Kane County.
Contact Wheaton Illinois Divorce Attorney, Erin Birt, at (630) 891-2478 if you have had an amicable separation and need to finalize your Illinois divorce. The firm offers a Flat Fee Uncontested Illinois Divorce Package which is designed to be an amicable and affordable Illinois divorce solution.
Schedule a Consultation with Attorney Erin Birt
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment