How to file a divorce in DuPage County generally involves the following steps and you might also want to view our 2020 update on this topic:
1. Know your options and decide: Collaborative Divorce (also see the post “Collaborative Divorce Process,” Mediation, Litigation. If you want to learn how to divorce without an attorney, book your free mediation orientation call below.
2. Know the residency requirements. See the post “When to Get a Divorce“.
3. If appropriate, prepare the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Watch the video on Grounds for a Divorce. Consider hiring this firm for the limited purpose of preparing the Petition and necessary documents, for more information about limited scope services, read the post ‘A La Carte Services,” or read our webpage devoted to A La Carte Services.
4. Prepare the Summons, if needed.
5. Take the original Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and three copies, the Summons (if needed), and the filing fee (which is approximately $350 to the DuPage County Circuit Court Clerk's Office. Once filed, an initial status date and courtroom assignment will be provided.
Also consider reviewing the Joint Simplied Dissolution of Marriage information.
For help with the next steps, please feel free to contact The Law Firm of Erin N. Birt, P.C. at (630) 891-2478.
UPDATE 2018: The procedure for filing your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage has changed in recent years. Our office can help you determine the best divorce route for you and offer you a low cost flat fee Contact Us today to get started.